wget utility is the best option to download files from internet. wget can pretty much handle all complex download situations including large file downloads, recursive downloads, non-interactive downloads, multiple file downloads etc.
1. Download Single File with wgetThe following example downloads a single file from internet and stores in the current directory.
2. Download and Store With a Different File name Using wget -O
$wget -O taglist.zip
3. Continue the Incomplete Download Using wget -cRestart a download which got stopped in the middle using wget -c option as shown below.
$wget -c http://www.openss7.org/repos/tarballs/strx25-0.9.2.1.tar.bz2
4. Download in the Background Using wget -bFor a huge download, put the download in background using wget option -b as shown below.
$wget -b http://www.openss7.org/repos/tarballs/strx25-0.9.2.1.tar.bz2
5. Download Multiple Files / URLs Using Wget -iFirst, store all the download files or URLs in a text file as:
$cat > download-file-list.txt
URL4Next, give the download-file-list.txt as argument to wget using -i option as shown below.
$wget -i download-file-list.txt
6. Download a Full Website Using wget –mirrorFollowing is the command line which you want to execute when you want to download a full website and made available for local viewing.
$wget --mirror -p --convert-links -P ./LOCAL-DIR WEBSITE-URL
7. Reject Certain File Types while Downloading Using wget –rejectYou have found a website which is useful, but don’t want to download the images you can specify the following.
$wget --reject=gif WEBSITE-TO-BE-DOWNLOADED
8. Quit Downloading When it Exceeds Certain Size Using wget -QWhen you want to stop download when it crosses 5 MB you can use the following wget command line.
$wget -Q5m -i FILE-WHICH-HAS-URLS
9. Download Only Certain File Types Using wget -r -AYou can use this under following situations:
- Download all images from a website
- Download all videos from a website
all PDF files from a website
$wget -r -A.pdf http://url-to-webpage-with-pdfs/
10. FTP Download With wgetYou can use wget to perform FTP download as shown below.
Anonymous FTP download using Wget